Lefthanded and Colorblind

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Wanda and Cliffy


My friend Cliffy Claven points out that a previous Blog, "Howard Hughes", contained incorrect information. Cliffy knows an awful lot for living in a place like Wanda MN. In fact, I'd venture a guess that out of the 103 people, 45 households, and 27 families residing in the city, he may damn well be the smartest.

But he makes a good point. Cliffy states:

"BTW your article is not actually correct, Ignaz Semmelweis a Hungarian doctor actually discovered germs. But since the medical community wasn't ready for it he was ostracized and wasn't vindicated till after his death.
I could rant on it, but I think this quote from the move 12 monkeys says it all.


Jeffrey Goines (Brad Pitt) in the movie "12 Monkeys":


'You know what crazy is? Crazy is majority rules. Take germs for example. Uh-huh. Eighteenth century, no such thing, nada, nothing. No one ever imagined such a thing. No sane person. Along comes this doctor, uh, Semmelweis, Semmelweis. Semmelweis comes along. He's trying to convince people, other doctors mainly, that's there's these teeny tiny invisible bad things called germs that get into your body and make you sick. He's trying to get doctors to wash their hands. What is this guy? Crazy? Teeny, tiny, invisible? What do they call it? Uh-uh, germs? Huh? What? Now, up to the 20th century, last week, as a matter of fact, before I got dragged into this hellhole. I go in to order a burger at this fast food joint, and the guy drops it on the floor. James, he picks it up, he wipes it off, he hands it to me like it's all OK. "What about the germs?" I say. He says, "I don't believe in germs. Germs is a plot made up so they could sell disinfectants and soaps." Now he's crazy, right?'"


12 Monkeys, is one of my personal favorite movies and it just may contain a prophetic message with H5N1 on the loose. (If it happens, remember who to call).



Thanks for the expert advise Cliffy! I stand corrected and your prize bottle of Purex is in the mail!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home